Below is my rough translation of the above video clip of the press conference.
Press Conference of the Joint Prevention and Control Mechanism of the State Council
Chinese medicine played a pivotal role in the recent COVID-19 pandemic in China.
The National Chinese Medicine Regulatory Board deployed 5 groups totaling nearly 800 Chinese medicine professionals to Wuhan.
Nearly 5000 health professionals assisting the pandemic in Wuhan came from the Chinese medicine system.
Nationally, there were 97 Chinese medicine organizations that participated as designated hospitals during the pandemic.
Nationally, excluding the Hubei area, Chinese medicine treatments were used in 96.37% of the total confirmed COVID-19 cases.
In the Hubei area, Chinese medicine was used in 91.05% of the confirmed cases of COVID-19.
Chinese medicine was used in all aspects of disease management of the COVID-19 pandemic including prevention, treatment, and rehabilitation.
On 13 March 2020, the People’s Daily reported the following statistics in Wuhan:
- 28 January 2020 – >90% suspected mild cases were confirmed as true infections
- 2 February 2020 – implemented quarantine and isolation procedures and Chinese medicine intervention
- 6 February 2020 – decrease in confirmed cases to 30+%
- 5 March 2020 – confirmed cases dropped to 3%
The above demonstrated the efficacy of early Chinese medicine intervention.
Chinese medicine also played an important role in the prevention and treatment of mild to normal COVID-19 infection. Chinese medicine also halted the disease progression of mild to normal cases of COVID-19 infection to more severe and life-threatening cases:
- The National Chinese Medicine Regulatory Board’s
survey of 1261 patients who took the Chinese herbal formula, Qing Fei Pai Du
Tang, across 10 provinces showed that:
- no mild COVID-19 cases progressed to more severe cases, and
- no normal COVID-19 cases progressed to life-threatening cases
- In a hospital in Wuhan with 576 mild to normal COVID-19 cases, none progressed to severe or life-threatening cases.
- For severe and life-threatening COVID-19 cases, Chinese medicine also played an important role especially for relieving high fevers, increasing blood oxygen saturation, etc
Chinese medicine, when combined with western medicine, can effectively lower the mortality rate of COVID-19 infections.
Also, check out this scholarly review:
Traditional Chinese Medicine in the Treatment of Patients Infected with 2019-New Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2): A Review and Perspective
by Dr. Reece Yeo, Holistic Chinese Medicine Practitioner & Ex-Medical Doctor